Last night, I wrote the import methods to get the DvdFriend data into a NOODB database.
Today, I created a simple ASP.NET page that binds to the NOODB client and does a search.
Oh, by the way, I added these 3 query operators
I needed the Contains to do the search.
Anyway, back on track. Once it was wired up, I was disheartened at the results. It’s one thing to see an import of a movie review taking 95ms. It’s another thing to see a very noticeable delay when you press the search button. A significant delay. I compared it to the live DvdFriend, which comes back instantaneously. Bummer.
So, I had to look into it. I found a very simple problem; the meta cache was reloading on every hit to the server. Doh! That’s not very good use of a cache. I updated the unity configuration to set the lifetime management to singleton (ContainerControlledLifetimeManager).
That made a massive difference, as it should have. Now, I am quite pleased with it. The records come back as fast as you can hit the enter key. Sweet.
I reran the imports from last night. The first two were the same. The third one, Movie Reviews, improved from 95ms to 22ms. Nice.
I thought it was time to really focus on the performance
- Remove the custom serializer
- Batch sql inserts/updates
I thought that list would have more bullets on it, but that’s all I can think of. I guess the third bullet would be to profile it and see what else I can work on.
In conclusion: good news. Visually, I can’t tell the speed difference between using NOODB and the existing site.